Sunday, September 9, 2012

closer and closer

We went to check out the progress on the house yesterday. It was pouring rain when we arrived, so we ended up going to run errands (somehow we've gotten to our late thirties and early forties without owning an actual set of dishes or drinking glasses or flatware, so we went to buy that) and then came back when it was slightly less rainy.

front door

We now have a front door. I'm pretty sure it isn't going to be white, but I'll have to check on that.

front steps fixed

The first version of the front steps was pretty badly done, which bothered the architect to no end. So they were re-done and now they look much smoother and nicer.

wolf under cover

My beautiful stove has been installed but was under wraps when we arrived.

yes

Ta da! David pulled up the cardboard and I was suitably enraptured. It is really the best part of the entire house. Did I mention the stove in the old house was avocado green and only had one working burner?

cosy living room

The barnboard is now fully installed in the living room. I think it looks cosy. I can't wait to sit in there this winter with the fire going and a record playing.

basement painted floor

Some sections of the concrete floor in the basement ended up being dramatically different colours, so the contractors painted those parts this nice grey to make them uniform. The paint was still wet, so this was as close as I could get but I think it looks great.

not a hot tub, a planter

I can't remember if I posted this before but it is not a hot tub. It is one of the planters for my vegetable garden on the second floor balcony.

stairs

Stairs to the third floor. The cardboard has been taken off them and they look great.

master shower

Master shower. There will be railings and screens and plants on the deck outside so people can't see us while we're showering.

where the bed goes

This is where the bed will go in the master bedroom.

two green rooves

One green roof above the entry way, and another on top of the garage. They probably liked that rain better than we did.

frames for screens

And here's the side of the house with the deck built and the frames for the wooden "screens" installed. There will be horizontal wooden bars across the frames (made from wood salvaged from under water, which means it won't warp) which will have vines growing up them.

As it stands, our move in date is Sept 21st. I'm still worried something annoying will happen to delay that, but at the same time I'm living in hope.

J.

2 comments:

  1. It all looks amazing, and so unique, and so you. I can't wait to see the finished product. I'm sure you don't want to throw open your home to the entire internet, but maybe a hint as to where it is so I can drive by and drool?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete